Family, Medical, and Other Protected Leave (FMLA)
Unforeseen family and medical emergencies happen. Helping your managers understand the policies that govern these situations lets you support your employees in times of uncertainty.
Better everyday decisions
Equipped with knowledge and compassion, managers will be able to confidently navigate FMLA policies while ensuring the well-being of their employees.
This course covers a variety of topics, including:
- Eligibility requirements for FMLA leave
- Medical documentation of the need for leave
- The FMLA leave process
- Steps to qualify FMLA leave
- Employees entitled to parental leave or military exigency/USERRA leave
- Other types of protected time off required by state law
Family, Medical, and Other Protected Leave (FMLA)
The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and comparable state and local laws require employers to provide family, medical or other types of protected leave to employees in some situations. Employers face an increasing number of lawsuits for failing to comply with these requirements.
While employees cannot be expected to become experts in the nuances of these laws, they must know enough to be able to spot issues and seek guidance from HR. Managers must learn about their special obligations for ensuring compliance with these laws and fully understand the steps they must take to comply
Who should receive training?
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and comparable state and local laws. The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in further expansion of family, medical and other protected leave laws and increased employers’ risk of non-compliance.
While employees cannot be expected to become experts in the nuances of these laws, they must know enough to be able to spot issues and seek guidance from HR. Managers, in particular, must fully understand the steps they must take to comply.
Traliant’s Family, Medical, and Other Protected Leave is a 25-minute course that teaches managers how to comply with the FMLA, comparable state and local leave laws and your organization’s policies. The course emphasizes managers’ special obligations for ensuring compliance and is kept up-to-date with changes in federal and state law.
This course is part of the Employment Law Fundamentals Certificate Program which gives managers the practical information they need to comply with the complex web of employment laws. This program consists of the following self-paced online courses:
- Interviewing and Hiring Lawfully (30 minutes)
- Wage and Hour Fundamentals (25 minutes)
- Disability, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations (25 minutes)
- Family, Medical, and Other Protected Leave (FMLA) (25 minutes)
The best way to learn is by doing. Through a series of scenarios and interactive exercises, employees learn how to comply with family, medical, and other protected leave laws. Managers learn about their additional obligations for compliance. Among other things, employees will learn the answers to the following questions:
- What are the conditions for which FMLA or comparable leave may be taken?
- What is considered a “serious health condition?”
- When are employees entitled to parental leave?
- When are employees entitled to military exigency and/or USERRA leave?
- Must the employee specifically say that they are requesting “FMLA leave?”
- Under what circumstances may employees be entitled to intermittent leave?
- Must employers pay for FMLA leave?
- How much notice of the need for leave must the employee give?
- Do we have to return the employee to the same position when they return to work?
- What steps should managers take when they learn of FMLA qualifying leave?
- Once FMLA leave expires, can other laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act, require additional leave?
- Who do you contact for guidance on leave issues?
The course is kept up to date with changes in federal and state laws.
The Traliant Difference
Proven effective training
Traliant creates modern, interactive training courses to help organizations meet the challenges of today’s workplace.
Engaging Instructional Design
We’ve applied the latest in learning innovation to ensure that learners have a positive experience and retain the knowledge for future recall.Learn more
We can quickly and efficiently customize the content and images to be unique to your organization.Learn More
Accessible to Users with Disabilities
Traliant provides an inclusive experience for all users, including those with disabilities, by going beyond Section 508-C standards and offering WCAG 2.1 AA.
The Traliant difference
From preventing sexual harassment and discrimination to preparing employees to diversity, equity and inclusion, Traliant’s modern, interactive training helps organizations meet the challenges of today’s diverse workplace and foster a respectful, inclusive culture.Learn more about our training methodology
You may be interested in other courses from the same topic
Employment Law Fundamentals
Ensuring employee safety, rights, and responsibilities.